Jesus said in Luke 17:1-4, “Then said he unto the disciples, It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come! It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones. Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him. And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him.”
Offenses are part of this world and as Jesus said it, it is impossible that no offenses should come. Wherever you are at – home, school, office, church, government, community, etc. offenses do come by. The only problem with offense is when we allow our hearts to be offended and dwell on it instead of dealing with it. Offense is like a poison that would slowly paralyze your spiritual life until you become cold of love and filled of bitterness and hate. Offense is a serious thing which has to be dealt with in our lives as believers of it can have eternal consequences if we don’t renew our mind and free ourselves from offenses.
So how are you going to overcome offenses? Know that these offenses may be rooted in a spirit of unforgiveness and pride. The more you hold on to the offenses done by a brother or sister the deeper the wound goes into the heart. The only way to let go of offense is through the help of the Holy Spirit. There is no other way, no other doctor can heal such inner sickness but only from a Higher Form of Being – that is GOD who can deal with it.
Come to God in prayer. Ask the help of the Holy Spirit and allow Him to reveal the offenses in your heart and allow the healing of God’s love to flow in you. Meditate on the following Scriptures which will also help you renew your mind according to the will of God:
- Colossians 3:12-13 – Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.
- 1 John 3:15 – Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.
- 1 Peter 2:23 – Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:
- Galatians 6:1-3 -Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. Bear ye one another’s burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself.
- Ephesians 4:25 – Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.
- Matthew 6:15 – But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.